Before starting to teach in 1970, Maurice worked for 15 years
as an Artist/Director/Art Director. He has now retired after
teaching art for 30 years; 20 years as Head, Visual Arts at
Lester B. Pearson in Scarborough. In 2001 he was elected to
Society of Painters in Watercolour (CSPWC) and is a member
Quest and the Polar
Artists Group (P.A.G.).
Maurice's love of the outdoors and his concern
for the environment are manifested in his watercolour landscapes.
He has traveled extensively and painted coast to coast across
Canada, including the Yukon, and the Nunavut Arctic and Greenland,
the Northwest Territories, Newfoundland, Alaska, the Caribbean,
Costa Rica, Italy, Belgium, France, Greece, Scotland, Mexico,
New England and New Mexico in the USA.
He has juried as well as demonstrated for many
groups such as the Scarborough Art Guild, the Toronto Watercolour
Society, the Don Valley Art Club, the Markham Group of Artists
and the Willowdale Group of Artists. For the past eight years,
Maurice has designed the sets for the North Toronto Players'
productions of Gilbert & Sullivan operettas at Leah Posluns
Solo Exhibitions include
• The Enoch Turner Schoolhouse, Toronto
• Glendon College, Toronto
• Victoria University at the University of Toronto
• Scarborough Civic Centre
• The Gallery Wall, Scarborough
Numerous Group Shows include
• The Aird Gallery, Toronto
• Cedar Ridge Gallery, Toronto
• The Joseph O. Carrier Gallery, Toronto
• Fisher's Loft Gallery, Newfoundland
• RAW (Riverdale Art Walk), Toronto
• Win Henstock Gallery, Oakville
• The Linkway Gallery in the TD Centre, Toronto
• Gallery on the Grand, Kitchener/Waterloo
• Georgina Art Centre
• Vancouver Maritime Museum
Maurice's commissioned portraits and watercolours hang in public
and private collections in Canada, France, Scotland, Mexico,
Italy, Australia and the United States.